The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the Nigerian Armed Forces will continue with its operations against insurgents in the North-East in spite of the purported remorse demonstrated by Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, in an online video.
This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday by the Director of Defence Information, Rabe Abubakar.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the sect leader, Abubakar Shekau, had released an online video clip in Arabic and Hausa languages on Thursday showing remorse and asking for forgiveness.
According to the DHQ spokesman, the Chief of Defence Staff, Gabriel Olonisakin, had advised the public to discountenance the online video clip.
“The DHQ wishes to state emphatically that not minding the contents of the video clips, the Armed Forces of Nigeria would continue to fight in order to consolidate the successes recorded so far.
“The said video clip should, therefore, be discountenanced as it could be another ploy or antics of the terrorists to keep our innocent citizens off their current security alertness to maximise casualties if attacked.
“The Nigerian Armed Forces are now determined more than ever before to end this ugly trend.
“The DHQ is also reassuring citizens that all captives under the coffer of the insurgents would regain their freedom with the ongoing military’s final offensive against the terrorists.’’
Abubakar said the CDS commended all officers and men of the Nigerian Armed Forces for their sacrifices, determination and courage to complete the task against the terrorists.
The statement also advised the public not to be carried away by the video clips but to be extra vigilant and security conscious at all times during the Easter celebrations and beyond.