President Muhammadu Buhari has again expressed his displeasure at how former National Security Adviser, NSA, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd) handled funds meant for purchase of arms under the Goodluck Jonathan administration.
Buhari in an interview with Al Jazeera television aired on Sunday, said the “sharing” of the funds was responsible for the boldness at which the Boko Haram sect operated in recent years.
He was reacting to a question by the interviewer on controversial use of security votes by office holders.
“Why not scrap these votes which end up in opaque destinations?” the interviewer quipped.
Responding, Buhari said while security votes of his office, his deputy’s, and a number of officials in the executive arm had been greatly reduced, plans were on to extend such to states.
“We are trying to recover such used for personal purposes.
“That is why we are prosecuting those who shared monies meant to procure hardware and software for the military.
“It is easy to say we have not recorded a high-profile conviction but there must be court processes.
“However, with the revelations coming out from the arms probe, you can imagine where Dasuki will end up.”
It would be recalled that a Federal Capital Territory, FCT, High Court sitting in Abuja on Friday struck out Dasuki’s application seeking to stop his trial pending his release from detention.
Justice Peter Affen held that the former NSA was unable to prove that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, was holding him after he was granted bail.
Affen maintained EFCC did not in any way acted contrary to court order because it did not have Dasuki in its custody.